This is a posting for a Principal Research Chair Fellow in Trans-Pacific Digital Platform Studies (2023-24) at UBC Okanagan.
Dr. Kyong Yoon is looking to recruit a new MA or PhD student in Digital Arts & Humanities who will contribute to trans-Pacific digital platform studies as a PRC Fellow, which is a graduate research assistant position. The PRC Fellow, funded through the University of British Columbia Okanagan Principal’s Research Chair (PRC) program, will pursue their own research project under the supervision of Dr. Kyong Yoon while working as a team member to develop research infrastructure for studies of trans-Pacific digital media and culture.
Eligibility: a highly motivated applicant who is interested in critical media studies and wishes to pursue research on (a) trans-Pacific digital media culture with particular reference to East Asian digital media and (b) analysis of digital cultural phenomena and content through digital humanities and/or cultural studies methods.
- A solid academic record of (a) critical media studies and (b) East Asian culture and language
- Strong writing and organizational skills
- Strong ability to work independently and as part of a team
Period: September 1, 2023 to April 30, 2024.
NOTE: While the position is initially for one academic year, the 2023 awardee may be eligible to apply for the following academic year’s PRC Fellow position depending on the budgetary circumstances of the PRC program.
Value: CAD 15,000 (to be paid in monthly instalments; expected hours are approximately 12 hrs per week). The applicant is also encouraged to apply for additional funding available via the university and the graduate program.
Inquiries & How to apply
- Please submit a letter of intent (250-500 words only) that describes how you are qualified for the position based on the eligibility and criteria indicated above to Dr. Kyong Yoon (firstname.lastname@example.org) by December 15, 2022. Please include “PRC Fellow Intent” in your email subject line.
- For this PRC Fellow position, the applicant should be admitted to UBC Okanagan’s Digital Arts & Humanities Graduate Program. Applications are open until January 15. For more information about the DAHU program, https://gradstudies.ok.ubc.ca/igs/digital-arts-humanities/